What happens when we take our theme verse, “Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:3) and state its opposite?
- Unblessed are the rich in spirit for the kingdom of heaven is not theirs.
- Cursed are the proud in spirit for the kingdom of heaven is not theirs.
Pride is of cosmic proportion.
The prophets Ezekiel and Isaiah give insight into the role of pride in early times.
It seems Ezekiel (28) and Isaiah (14) both speak about a natural, human, and earthly ruler. The King of Tyre, for Ezekiel, and Isaiah speaks of the King of Babylon.
Both prophets seem to move into an awareness that the rulers of Tyre and Babylon are both puppets of the actual king, Satan.
Beginning in Ezekiel 28:11 we see characteristics of this “king of Tyre” that cannot be said of human beings.
- You were an anointed guardian Cherub. 14
- You were blameless. 15
- You were signet of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. 12
- You were in Eden, the Garden of God. 13
- On the day that you were created. 13 (Adam and Eve were created, everyone else was born (begotten).
- Your heart was PROUD because of your beauty. Vs. 17
- You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your beauty. 17
- So I cast you as a profane thing from the mountain of God. 16
Isaiah, although speaking of the king of Babylon, also states concepts that cannot be the human and earthly king of Babylon.
- How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of the Dawn (Lucifer). Vs. 12
- You said in your heart, I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high. 13
- I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north. Vs. 13
- I will ascend above the heights of the clouds. 14
- I will make myself like the Most High. Vs. 14
Pride, in this way, is in the DNA of all opposition to God, God’s kingdom, Jesus, and is the parent of all sin.
Pride is far more wicked, destructive, and diabolical than we can imagine.
Pride is the spirit of everything that opposes God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.
It makes total sense for Jesus to reveal that every pathway toward God’s blessing begins in poverty of spirit (humility).
Humility is in the DNA of all reception of God, God’s kingdom, and Jesus.
This then states the problem.
The DNA of the one who initiated sin in the cosmos is filled with unmitigated pride.
Of course, he then knows only one way to tempt God’s much-loved creation, Adam and Eve. Remember, his DNA is pride and his tempting will always have his DNA.
Look at the first sinner’s use of pride against Eve. Genesis 3:1-6
- For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened
- And you will be like God
- Knowing good and evil
- When she saw that the tree was good
- A delight to the eyes
- Desire to make one wise
The DNA of the evil one’s pride is throughout the temptation account.
Eve, the mother of all humanity, then added the sin of pride into every human being’s spiritual DNA.
The great dilemma is that God requires humility but pride is in our spiritual DNA.
Are we hopelessly lost and foreordained to opposition to God?
NO! God Himself, in the Person of the Holy Spirit, makes the impossible possible by re-coding our spiritual DNA. 2 Corinthians 5:17
Everything God does in the world he does through the Blessed Holy Spirit.
Jesus’ greatest sermon (The Sermon on the Mount) is an amazing revelation of what the Holy Spirit will do in our lives if we will trust Him!
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. John 16:13, 14
Take Home Practices
- I invite the Holy Spirit to guide me into all truth, especially into the truth of the dangers of pride and the blessing of humility.
- I invite the Holy Spirit to speak into my life with the authority of Jesus.
- I invite the Holy Spirit to declare to me the things that are to come.